The Columbus County Sheriff’s Office has a Chaplain’s Program to offer spiritual guidance to our staff, their families, and to jail inmates.
Dr. David Heller
Dr. David Heller has served as a Sheriff’s Office Chaplain for over ten years. A former police office himself, he can relate to the day to day stress and struggles of the department’s employees.
Some of our Chaplain's duties include:
- Counseling law enforcement officers
- Counseling the families of law enforcement officers and department personnel
- Visiting sick and injured officers and department personnel in their homes and hospitals
- Making death notifications
- Providing assistance to victims
- Serving as part of our department’s Crisis Response Team
- Providing assistance during suicide incidents
- Serving as a liaison with other clergy within our community
- Providing for the spiritual needs of prisoners
- Assisting transients and the homeless
- Working with the Victim Assistance Advocate