Columbus County Sheriff's Office Citizens Academy
The Columbus County Sheriff’s Office offers a Citizens Academy to residents of Columbus County.
Classes will begin July 31st and end September 25, 2018.
The class meets once a week for nine weeks.
The Citizens Academy is offered to the public free of charge.
Please complete an application and return it to the Sheriff’s Office by July 27th.
Are you interested in joining the V.O.I.C.E. Program?
Do you love Columbus County? Do you desire to show support for your community?
Do you have spare time that you are willing to dedicate to helping others?
If you answered yes to these three questions, our V.O.I.C.E. Program might be the perfect opportunity for you to give
back to your community.
V.O.I.C.E. Program Application Process
- Complete the V.O.I.C.E. Application and return it to our office.
- Complete the personal references form and return it with your application.
- If your application is selected for review, you will be fingerprinted and a background check will be completed.
- If the investigation is completed of your background and character references without any issues, you will be called in for an interview.
- 5.If the interview panel feels like you and the V.O.I.C.E. Program will make a great team, you will be presented with the opportunity to enter the V.O.I.C.E.
- If you choose to accept the opportunity, you will attend the Volunteer Academy.
- 7.After graduating the Volunteer Academy, you will be assigned to a duty station that is best suitable to your skills and abilities.
V.O.I.C.E. Program Requirements
- Must be physically able to carry out the duties that you are assigned. Some examples include:
If you choose to direct traffic, then you must be able to stand for extended amounts of time.
If you choose to assist with clerical duties, then you must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
If you choose to assist with answering the switchboard, then you must be able to speak clearly.
If you choose to assist with transports, then you must be able to ride in a vehicle, without stopping,
to the predetermined, designated location.
- Must not use illegal drugs or abuse prescription drugs.
- Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of one (1), four (4) hours shift per each calendar month.
- Must complete the Volunteer Academy.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony.